Alabama Osha(205) 348-3033(205) 348-3049 FAX
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Mobile Area Office
1141 Montlimar Drive Suite 1006
Mobile, Al 36609
(251) 441-6131; Fax (251) 441-6396
- Alliance Background:
April 16, 2003 and Renewed on February 3, 2005
OSHA, Alabama AGC, ARBA, Safe State, ALDOT, FHWA, 3M, Lamar and the Alabama T-2 Center are committed to sharing their collective expertise to help foster a culture of injury and illness prevention while sharing best practices and technical knowledge, especially in the area of work zone safety and “Struck By” hazards.
On July 18, 2007, an addendum to the AL Struck-by Alliance was signed by Alabama Power.
On January 28, 2008, an addendum to the AL Struck-by Alliance was signed by Public Employee Safety Council of Alabama (PESCA).
On June 16, 2008, an addendum to the AL Struck-by Alliance was signed by Asphalt Pavement Assoc.
- Implementation Team Memberships and Contributors:
OSHA, Alabama – Association General Contractors of America (Alabama AGC), Alabama Road Builders Association (ARBA), Safe State of Alabama, Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT), The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), 3M Corporation (3M), Lamar Outdoor Advertising (Lamar) and the Auburn University - Alabama Technology Transfer Center (Alabama T-2 Center), Alabama Power and PESCA.
These meetings were conducted as scheduled on the following dates:
4/07/2008, 6/17/2008 and 10/30/2008
June 5, 2008, through December 31, 2008
- Events and Products
Training and Education
- On March 11, 2008, a Work Zone Safety Training Class was conducted in Mobile, Alabama in conjunction was the Alliance group.
- On March 13, 2008, a Work Zone Safety Training Class was conducted in Montgomery, Alabama in conjunction was the Alliance group.
- On March 18, 2008, a Work Zone Safety Training Class was conducted in Florence, Alabama in conjunction was the Alliance group.
- On April 18, 2008, the Alabama Struck-by Alliance group supported the Gulf Coast Construction Safety Conference in Mobile, Alabama. Over 360 employers and employees participated in the event, which featured free safety and health training, as well as exhibitors.
Outreach and Communication
- During FY08 Lamar Outdoor Signs provided the group with several billboards throughout the State, which promoted “work zone” safety.
- On April 7, 2008, representatives from OSHA's Mobile Area Office participated in a local TV news interview focusing on work zone safety in Alabama, during National Work Zone Safety Week.
- The Alabama Struck-By Alliance developed a DVD to promoted work zone safety awareness to traveler across the State. The DVD is utilized (on television monitors) in rest areas throughout the Alabama. The DVD includes information a work zone hazards, the Struck-by Alliance, the State's efforts to reduce injuries and illnesses in the work zones, as well as data regarding highway accidents. A copy of the DVD was also provided to the Georgia Struck-by Alliance group for distribution.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
Refer to the events list above
- Upcoming Milestones in FY 2009:
- Participate in the “National Work Zone Week” in 2009.
- Continue to effectively promote the Alliance agreement and expand the group's membership.
Report Prepared by: Bill Bice, CAS
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-6932340 or go to OSHA.